24.8.09

BLIND SURGEON

here's a picture i carved/drew on the back of a takeout container (click on it):




and here's a story:

at work today a man came in riding inside some kind of plastic wheelchair device. he parked behind where i was bagging groceries. he asked me to come over by him. then he asked me to go get three bananas and a gallon of milk for him, and have them rung up. i could barely understand him. it seemed like he couldn't think of words or how to say them. i got the things and he left the store with them. an hour or so later i went outside to check for carts and i saw him on the ground, gripping his plastic wheelchair device and trying to get back up into it. there were two women standing by him looking concerned. they did nothing. i asked him if he needed help. he kept mumbling. he kept trying to stand but his legs looked all bent and worthless. he kept falling. eventually i just grabbed him beneath each armpit and lifted him into his plastic wheelchair device. he told me to wheel him over by the garbage cans. i wheeled him there and left him there. when i got home, my hands still smelled like his body odor from holding him under his arms. i get paid eight dollars an hour. i feel normal.

8 comments:

Molly Gaudry said...

You are such a good guy. Well done. And I really like the hair parts of your drawing.

Maya said...

great art

DJ Berndt said...

Fantastic, man.

Way to be a good guy.

sam pink said...

shit i didn't think of it as being good. in fact, as i was lifting him i whispered, "milk's on sale bitch" then i pushed him into the street.

daniel bailey said...

fucking sweet. i love everything about this post

Anonymous said...

The horrors that go in in your brain and chest when you have to interact in a good way with folk is barbaric, ballistic and cybernetic.

I have to admit that I would have walked past him and pretended to take him him home. I can visualise stuff real good and that's what I would have recalled later.

I would have saved him from a pair of ghost hands too.

I thank Tawsi Melek that there are good people like Sam Pink in this bloated face of a world ready to really carry people home and not just really really visualise it well enough to trick themselves.

More power to your lower back.

albie

Anonymous said...

Once, I was supposed to take a train back from Montreal with my sons but the train tracks were all fucked up so Amtrack put all of us on a bus and there was this old woman in a wheel chair and the bus driver and some other Amtrack employee were trying to get her up the bus steps and they couldn't get her up..they were pushing and pushing and she was complaining and they were making no progress and we all were waiting there on the bus and pissed about not being on a train and I got up and pulled her with all my might and then seh leaned on me and I moved one foot at a time while she leaned on me and got her up the stairs and into a seat on the bus. Everyone thanked me. Later, when we stopped at mcdonald's, I asked her if she wanted anything and she did- i got her a hamburger and fries- she didn't want anything to drink...she made it clear that it was because if she had to go to pee, she couldn't make it to the bathroom.

Hi Sam!
xxxxxx,
pr

freefun0616 said...

酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店經紀,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店工作,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,

,