13.10.09

READING LAST NIGHT

the reading last night was cool.

it made me happy to be in Chicago.

i heard at least one other person say the same thing.

I met Kathryn regina.

i have liked everything i have read by her.

i felt proud to read with her.

she was the most professional appearing of the readers.

it reminded me of being younger and like when your class would go to the library and the librarian would read a story and it would rock so hard.

I met zach, the featherproof chief.

he had a nice voice and was also nice in terms of behavior.

he was the emcee and he gave me a piece of paper to write down the way I wanted to be introduced.

all I did was write three book titles on a piece of a brown paper bag.

when zach introduced me he said, “all I have is a piece of paper with some titles written down on it.”

I felt a sense of failure inside myself at that moment.

I seemed to have not accomplished what I was asked to do.

I swallowed many thousands of tears.

however, he was able to read the titles ok, and I remember experiencing a sensation inside my body that sounded and felt like “whew.”

I think I actually looked around to see if anyone was about to congratulate me on writing legibly.

no one did.

when I read I didn’t use the mic because 1. I thought I would like to stand closer to the audience and 2. I was worried about it shrieking feedback and then me having nothing to say that would be appropriate except for “sorry” which would likely produce more feedback and then everyone would stare and point at me for doing such horrible things.

the first thing i read was the back of the vhs box for the movie “Lionheart”

then I read some other shit.

at one point I lifted my eyes off the paper and looked at the audience and actually said, “ok make eye contact.” like, i think people thought I was joking but in reality I was just stupid enough to narrate my own action out loud.

Amelia gray read a story she wrote based on a quote from blake butler’s dad.

Amelia also seemed professional, like she knew how to do other things while reading besides just stare at the paper and worry about saying all the words and saying them clearly.

Amelia didn’t read any words from the back of a vhs action film box, but I still think she did well.

blake read last.

he offered to dance instead of read, and he did for maybe seven seconds while people clapped.

then he read from scorch atlas.

everyone got real quiet.

for some reason I remember that he used the word “guffawed.”

when he was done reading a band set up.

I started dancing with blake in the back room, when we were waiting to use the bathroom.

then we went out in front of the band and danced.

other people started dancing.

I remember certain things.

I remember there being a circle that formed and I tried to do that Russian dance where you cross your arms and kick out your legs.

that kind of dancing hurted my ankles real bad and I guess I let the circle down.

I remember taking blake’s shoe off on the dancefloor and acting like I was talking into it like a phone.

he fell to the ground on his side and I remember taking one of his legs and acting like I was pumping it, like you know like one of his legs was the handle to a pump.

then blake jumped on my back and I jumped a few times while holding him.

I noticed zach on the dancefloor.

his moves were sublime.

blake took off zach's scarf and threw it up around the ceiling fan.

then people were jumping and touching the hanging scarf.

someone threw a copy of scorch atlas into the middle of the dancing.

it got all fucked up.

I remember being impressed with how I was moving my feet but maybe I am not remembering thigns right.

like I felt like I could legitimately dominate james brown in some type of foot dancing competition.

there was a smashed can on the floor that people were kicking and I remember looking at it and thinking, “try like, a surf move on it dude.”

then I saw myself with a terrible fracture in my leg somewhere, and the bones were coming out.

I remember almost puking because of how hard I was sweating and dancing and thinking about leg fractures.

after the dancing people went outside.

I met someone named landon.

my friend kari was there.

everyone was talking about how nice the NO COAST COLLECTIVE store was.

kari said she woud like to rent a place like it but then we both agreed nothing would happen except for like normal stuff, like just renting the place and eating cereal in it and watching tv.

it felt like the most un-fake reading I had been too.

I walked home and on the way I walked by a guy and I said, “wuz happ” as in, a failed attempt to say “what is happening” and he said, “what’s good mane.”

I looked at the copy of scorch atlas blake gave me.

it looks and feels like one of those “state-books” you can get at a gas station that basically explores the history of the state, except more macabre, design and content alike.

I am excited to read it again.

people are nice.

nice people are nice to find.

here are two other people’s accounts.


kathryn regina


richard thomas

4 comments:

Richard Thomas said...

Sam,

Man, excellent recap. Nailed it. Your reading was hilarious, for sure. Didn't see you at QUICKIES!, right? Keep kicking out the jams, looking forward to picking up some of your work. CLONE, especially. HILARIOUS. Seriously. I've been reading too much dark writing lately, so I appreciate the humor, and surrealism. Good stuff. We'll have to hang again sometime soon.

Peace,
Richard

Ken Baumann said...

damn, son

gots to get to los angeles to partay

or me to chicago, whichever

Anonymous said...

I liked that thin paper yellow staircase that appeared from the ceiling for a bit, then it went away like a relative you never see again.


albie

freefun0616 said...

酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店經紀,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店工作,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,

,