23.7.13

EMILE GRIFFITH DIED

In a 1962 welterweight title fight, Griffith knocked out Benny “Kid” Paret in 12 savage rounds, ending the fight by pummeling Paret in the corner with as many as 25 uncontested punches in a matter of seconds. Paret died 10 days later and his death has haunted Griffith since. In prefight comments, Paret had taunted Griffith as a “maricon,” Spanish for faggot. “When I had him in the corner in the 12th round … I was very angry in the ring,” Griffith said in the documentary “Ring of Fire.” “Nobody ever called me a faggot.”
"I keep thinking how strange it is ... I kill a man and most people understand and forgive me. However, I love a man, and to so many people this is an unforgivable sin; this makes me an evil person. So, even though I never went to jail, I have been in prison almost all my life." Emile Griffith

No comments: