13.8.15

review of the lemonade stand one block east of augusta and ashland

nothing beats the summer heat like a nice cup of lemonade. yes, ice cold lemonade really beats the heat. so you can imagine my delight this afternoon when i passed by a lemonade stand one block east of augusta and ashland. at first glance,'Fresh Lemonade' is an unassuming, charming little nook in chicago's west town neighborhood. a handmade sign adds rustic charm and informs passers by that for the low low price of fifty-cents, they can cool off and beat the heat with a cup. i was greeted by a five year old girl and her grandmother. the service, to begin with, was admittedly, a little weak. i  had stopped and read the sign for a few seconds, even loudly said, 'hmmm' like i was thinking about the lemonade, to get the attendant's attention, i was then approached by the five year old girl, i'm assuming the main proprietor. she seemed very nervous but her grandma was quick to remind her it was her lemonade stand. this early buffoonery had me anxious, but i eased the tension by joking about the sign, which, due to spacing issues, appeared to read that each cup was 10.50, rather than just .50. i was then informed that the establishment offered two types of lemonade, pink, and classic yellow. i chose yellow after no small deliberation, for both looked succulent, cooling off in glass pitchers on a small plastic table.  the girl took out a small styrofoam cup and almost poured my drink but her coworker reminded her about the ice. needless to say, my confidence in the overall product/atmosphere was waning...i was given a modest serving, perhaps a ploy at milking refill fees?...i gathered fifty cents and a dollar and motioned to hand it to the girl but she had been distracted by getting more styrofoam cups. her coworker reminded her to always mind the customer first. i paid for my drink and told her the dollar was her tip. both employees wished me a nice day and looking at that wonderful lemonade in my hand, it was hard to see it going any other way. i continued walking and swirled my drink a little, to let it fully luxuriate in the ice. i swirled and watched. appeared to be a classic pale yellow lemonade. perfect for cooling off on a hot summer afternoon. after my first sip, i knew my dollar-fifty  had found its true owner. the lemonade covered my tongue and went down my throat and cooled me from the core out. a sweet onset concluded with tart notes. overall, a pleasing experience. i highly recommend the lemonade stand one block east of augusta and ashland

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

felt very worried this was going to end in disaster, so relieved it didn't

Anonymous said...

Now I need some lemonade.

sam pink said...

lemonade is so good isn't it, you guys!?